Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rahman's Fab Five: Redux

I've shamelessly decided to piggyback on Swaroop's post, Rahman's Fab Five, and compile my own list. I did plan on putting up a Rahman-centric post on more than one occasion, but was too lazy to get down to it. So it seems Swaroop's list has provided me with an excuse to finally indulge and get this out of the way.

While I often claim to be an albums-and-not-singles kind of listener, my approach to music records is rather basal, focusing more on nostalgic value and spur-of-the-moment-feeling. Since I won't be able to dissect Rahman's albums with the same artfulness as Swaroop, my choices are perhaps more a reflection of the raw emotion and memories they bring with them. I grew up on a steady diet of Rahman's music through the 90s, but after the turn of the decade I tended to miss out on some of his later masterpieces. This can be put down to the fact that, from the end of school up till around the third year of college, I went through a phase where I thought of myself as a proper metalhead and was surrounded by peers whose musical philosophy was of the "louder the better" variety. Rahman was never far away however, and my renewed interest over the years has been rewarding. The post-2000 stuff also offers plenty from his catalog waiting to be discovered by me, definitely something to look forward to.

Again, this is not an all-time top five list, which is why Roja and Thiruda Thiruda don't figure in it. Rather, it is a loosely-chosen list of albums which perhaps best represent the spark that Rahman's music has time and again provided to the otherwise mundane process of getting on with life.

1. Rang De Basanti: While it is by no means one of Rahman's stronger efforts, I associate RDB with some really good times. Like the first half of the movie, it has a freshness about it that refuses to go away, and every song is an earworm. There was a trip to Kochi with friends in early 2006, during which the title track was played relentlessly, and it has since been stuck in my head. It was quite a masterstroke to get Daler Mehndi to sing it, briefly putting everyone's favourite Punjab da Puttar back on the charts. There's the delightfully cheesy Lose Control/ Pathashala, filled with mindless lyrics. Lukka Chuppi was a song which grew on me thanks to my Austin roommate who listened to it on repeat; Lata and ARR's interlocking verses are a treat, as is the lilting melody of Tu Bin Bataye. Roobaroo, however, stood out for me because it somehow managed to legitimise the ridiculous climax of the movie when I saw it for the first time; the fact that a simple tune (with the acoustic guitar providing a nice touch) was able provide this kind of uplift to a movie was simply the work of a genius. Overall, this is the sort of effort which ARR could probably have come up with in his sleep, but what the hell, it's all good.

2. Kaadhalan:
There are two abiding memories of my vacation in Madras during the winter of 1994 - watching Shane Warne spin his web of magic around the Englishmen (particularly this hat-trick at the MCG) on the telly, and listening to the neighbourhood boys discussing the vagaries of the lyrics from the Kaadhalan OST, especially the superhits Urvasi and Muqabala. Now, this album is possibly the best example of how dubbing Tamil music into Hindi loses much of the sting of the original. The Hindi equivalent has not aged well, and many 'Northie' friends have pointed out that the lyrics are nonsense. Indeed, my clueless 11-year old self could not figure out why an adolescent might get a kick out of irritating a girl with lines like "Oosi pola odambirunda thevayille pharmacy". The bottom line is that such music was not conceived with the intention of fitting into the Bollywood scheme of things, and as a result is much more enjoyable when taken in its original context. Anyhow, this soundtrack is really diverse and contains barely any filler; there's the beautiful, sensitively crafted Ennavale, the earthy Erani Kuradhani (Gopala), the eminently hummable Kadhalikum Pennin, and of course that hilarious ode to Madras Bashai, Pettai Rap. The album sure is one hell of a wicked ride.

3. Rangeela:
Talk about a seamless transition. Rahman's first original score in Hindi is chock-full of dependable delights. I'll remember this one in particular because a relative handed me the tape long before the songs were ingrained in public consciousness, with the words "Listen to this. This is going to be the next big thing." In what must have seemed like an unlikely arrangement at the time, Asha Bhonsle does the playback for 21-year old Urmila Matdonkar in Tanha Tanha quite stunningly. Asha also features on the infectious Rangeela Re, while Udit Narayan shines on Yaaro Sun Lo Zara, and Kya Kare ya na Kare. My personal favourite, however, is Mangta Hai Kya, with its pulsating, tense buildup and agitated percussion before Shweta Shetty's seductive vocal takes over. Indeed, just as he resurrected Daler Mehndi with RDB, Rahman provides Ms.Shetty with probably the high point of her career. Who would have thought she was capable of hitting those high notes?

4. Bombay:
So distressed were we when Kuchi Kuchi Rakamma displaced Didi Tera from its long-standing no.1 spot on the Satish Shah-hosted countdown show Philips Top Ten, we actually wanted to get everyone in the building to sign a petition asking Zee Telefilms for a reversal (In retrospect, WTF were we thinking?). Rahman won out, and the gain was mine as I slowly got exposed to some of the best music I had ever heard. Bombay is one of those albums from which it's just impossible to single out a favourite tune. Kannalane, brilliantly sung by KS Chithra, haunts me every time I listen to it. Humma sounds equally awesome in Hindi and Tamil, Uyire is the album's moment of tenderness, and the Bombay Theme is simply one of the best instrumentals ever. Of late, I've been hooked onto Poovukku Enna (the "Halla Gulla" song), which previously used to annoy the crap out of me. All of a sudden, amidst a bassline which lends a sense of irreverence to the song, the yelling of those kids seems to bring out the..er..kid in me.

5. Indian/Hindustani:
Indian occupies a strange, almost latent position in the Rahman catalog. I mean, ask a person to name as many Rahman albums as he can remember and the chances are Indian would figure very late in the list, if at all; but play him Akadanu Naanga and suddenly the memories start flooding back. I'll remember it for some of the most bouncy, energetic tunes ARR ever composed. Among them, Maya Machindram and Telephone Manipol, the latter featuring some memorable vocal work from the teenaged Harini. There's also the sedate and heartwarming Pachai Kiligal , sung by Yesudas.

Phew, that took some effort. Now if you'll excuse me, I have fifteen years' worth of music to catch up on.

Current Music: Thiruda Thiruda - Putham Pudu Boomi

10 comments:

  1. Great post! I just started listening to "Indian" after reading this post...

    And I wholheartedly agree with you on the Tamil-to-Hindi issue. Even some 'dual' tunes like 'Hey Goodbye Nanba' (Hey Khuda Hafiz from Yuva) sound much better in Tamil.

    I was in Delhi in 2005 when the music RDB came out. I remember I was in Vasant Kunj market, and this Music World was blaring the title track, and I thought, "Dude, this is stunning Punju music!" I went in and asked the guy for the Punju CD and was shocked to find it was a new Rahman album!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol @ the RDB discovery! Seriously, it's amazing how many different styles of music he has dabbled in ...and been successful at that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm tempted to partake in every Rahman discussion on the web. :)

    A worthy list you have there, Suhas. I understand the nostalgia connection so well... we were once driving to this friend's wedding in his native place, a village called Singapur (trust me, it is a universe removed from Singapore). We drove in Tata Sumo with no AC in the middle of a torrid summer for about seven hours on a treacherous highway on which many careless drivers perished. Still it was easily the most enjoyable trip I ever had because it was on this drive that I discovered Rahman's Minsara Kanavu, played over and over again on my friend's pocket tape recorder. Rahman's brilliance of course transcends all bad electronics. What a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anand: While I seriously doubt I've ever been to a place as remote as Singapur, I can certainly attest to the number of never-ending car journeys on dusty highways which were made bearable by playing a Rahman tape over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did YOU really petition to bring Didi Tera back? :D The song played for over three years on every music channel! How does one forgive you for it?

    Lovely reading yoru thoughts. I can relate to the nostalgia given that I listen almost exclusively to Rahman in filmi music(and now Amit Trivedi. I love the songs in Dev D) :)

    Why doesn't anyone mention Roja!

    By the way, I have a suhas playlist in my itunes with your "current music". :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I wanted to, we were all prone to lapses in taste back then :P Actually, IMRB (the company appa used to work for) was doing the market research for that show, so we needed an excuse to use his clout!

    Yup DevD had some great music. Must listen more often. I guess Roja was too obvious a choice for me or Swaroop to review.

    Nice to know about my contribution to your playlists! Would be very interested to see/hear them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. do you have a lastfm account?

    here's mine : http://www.last.fm/user/pdabha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't. But I suppose I will eventually get one. Quite fascinating going through your lists!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree! So much about music is memories. I love your list - I would add Dil Se - for me that holds some very special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! Dil Se was actually a tough call...on another day I might have included it.

    ReplyDelete